View the embedded image gallery online at:
At Meadowside Primary School, we provide opportunities for each child to develop their skills and enhance their lives through music. Our intent is to support and uphold the school’s vision that ‘Meadowside is a nurturing community with a strong sense of pride and belonging and we believe that all pupils have the potential to thrive and also to underpin the school’s values of Respect, Responsibility, Resilience and Reflection.
At Meadowside Primary School, music is taught through the Charanga Scheme of Work, with adapted and alternative units to fit in with special events happening at Meadowside. This ensures the progression of skills, coverage and vocabulary across the year. Foundation Stage will follow the EYFS and music will be taught throughout the week.
A diverse range of teaching styles and resources should be used to maximize the involvement and enjoyment of the pupils. We encourage pupils to express themselves musically through a broad range of listening, composing and performing. Pupils are able to express thoughts and feelings through critiquing composers’ works from a range of eras.
The impact of giving our pupils a wide variety of musical experiences will be…
- A rapidly widening repertoire which they use to create original, imaginative, fluent and distinctive composing and performance work.
- A musical understanding underpinned by high levels of aural perception, internalisation and knowledge of music, including high or rapidly developing levels of technical expertise.
- Very good awareness and appreciation of different musical traditions and genres.
- An excellent understanding of how musical provenance - the historical, social and cultural origins of music - contributes to the diversity of musical styles.
- The ability to give precise written and verbal explanations, using musical terminology effectively, accurately and appropriately.
- A passion for and commitment to a diverse range of musical activities.